ABOUT MASTERCARD FOUNDATION
Mastercard Foundation seeks a world where everyone has the opportunity to learn and prosper. Through its Young Africa Works strategy and Canadian EleV program, the Foundation works with partners to ensure that millions of young people, especially young women, access quality education, financial services, and dignified work. Mastercard Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company. The Foundation is independent with its own Board of Directors and CEO.
THE WORK AT THE FOUNDATION
We have entered a very exciting time at the Foundation as we scale up our operations across Africa to realize our Young Africa Works strategy. Our role at the Mastercard Foundation is to be a catalyst. Our Young Africa Works strategy focuses on working with others to spur systemic change so young people have the opportunity to find work that is dignified and fulfilling.
The Foundation has opened offices in Rwanda, Kenya, Ghana, Senegal, Ethiopia, Nigeria and Uganda, building a broader leadership presence in Africa to develop specific strategies that support youth employment. Within a country, we work with governments, the private sector, educators and other funders to improve the quality of education and vocational training, prepare young people for the work force, expand access to financial services for entrepreneurs and small businesses, and connect job seekers to dignified and fulfilling work.
We are ambitious and driven. Our values transcend and rise above everything else as our guide. We encourage you to bring your bold ideas, curiosity, and expertise to your work. We laugh at ourselves and with each other. We are a team. Our journey together makes our impact even more meaningful.
If you are a Business Intelligence professional ready to build something new and increase your impact, read on!
The Business Intelligence unit at The Foundation is one the main units under The Strategic Operations Function. The Business Intelligence unit comprises of the following sub-units: Data Governance, Advanced Analytics and Business Intelligence Operations & Business Partnering.
This position offers the possibility to enter a dynamic team, and the right candidate will be able to influence how Mastercard Foundation improves data-driven decision-making for the benefit of our immediate and future goals.
The Business Intelligence Operations Lead will support The Foundation’s Business Intelligence (BI) strategy, by working closely with various teams and key Functions within the Foundation, serving as the Analytics & Reporting Business Partner to Country Teams and other Enterprise functions; to understand, translate and recommend fit-for-purpose Business Intelligence & Analytics solutions to support decision making and enhance insights & efficiency.
S/he will also work very closely with the Technology team to develop and maintain a tight-fit BI environment in line with business requirements.
The job holder will be charged with enhancing the Foundation’s reporting requirements (including self-serve capabilities) and data analytics capabilities while developing use cases and solutions through business partnering and maintaining the organization’s overall “data literacy.”
The successful candidate will be based in Canada or any of our listed offices in Africa (Rwanda, Ethiopia, Uganda, Kenya, South Africa, Ghana and Nigeria).
WAYS YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
- Identify data analytics needs and use cases to drive evolution of Foundation’s overall analytics capabilities.
- Engage other teams (e.g., Programs, Impact, Finance, IT, Knowledge Management etc.) to support data analytics and reporting needs.
- Engage with stakeholders in order to understand their business processes, imperatives, constraints and priorities, and design appropriate BI solutions to help in achieving their goals.
- Close business partnering with regional/country and functional teams to discover insights that will guide strategic decisions and uncover optimization opportunities.
- Lead a team of data analysts to build BI applications, by working backwards from regional/country and functional analytics needs.
- Create self-service capabilities for reporting and collaborating with Functions; setting reporting standards.
- Build data pipelines and data models that will generate data visualizations to meet business needs.
- Engage teams to derive insights from data by carrying out drilldowns, statistical analyses, data modelling and application of advanced analytics where applicable, and data visualization.
- Champion the best tools, technologies, applications and practices used to collect, integrate, analyze, and present an organization’s raw data as insightful and actionable business information.
- Liaise with other functional areas (e.g., IT) to build technology and process infrastructure for data analytics & reporting.
- Establish and maintain reliable “single source of truth” for Foundation data’s infrastructure.
- Set and maintain standards for timeliness, responsiveness, accuracy and quality of delivery for BI deliverables.
- Supervise direct reports to maintain high performance, motivation, capability-building, and career progression for team members.
- Play an active leadership role on the Business Intelligence team, mentoring BI Analysts and constantly pushing the team to grow and evolve.
WHO YOU ARE
- 10+ years ‘experience in delivering Business Intelligence Solutions such as interactive reports, dashboards, and/or integrating modeling results and have strong Data Visualization design skills with at least 3 years of leading Business Intelligence Teams.
- At least 3 years of experience with ETL process and Enterprise Power BI development and administration.
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, MIS, Information Management, or any relevant field.
- Proven “business partnering” experience of engaging key stakeholders to understand their analytics needs and requirements while translating them into key BI products.
- Proven ability to apply “use case” approach to analytics delivery and be an advocate for the end-user.
- Advanced experience planning and delivering BI and statistical analyses with knowledge of most major platforms and languages, e.g., Azure, SQL, Python/R, PowerBI, ETL Tools & Techniques, Excel, Tableau etc (or equivalent).
- Experience with monitoring health and performance of entire Power BI platform.
- Knowledge of Data Warehouse best practices that enable self-service analytics.
- Ability to work with complex data (quantitative and qualitative) and understand how to transform disparate data to create new features, insights, and visualizations.
- Ability to translate business needs into technical and process requirements to deliver solutions.
- Comfort with self-direction, but balanced with ability to maintain meaningful visibility and engagement with managers (given geography and time zone).
- Detail orientation with rigorous attention to developing, implementing, and improving processes and procedures.
- Resilience and flexibility to manage through shifting priorities, parameters, and rapidly changing context.
- Possess excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
- Possess tested professional maturity, cultural sensitivity, and impeccable integrity.
- A strong commitment to Mastercard Foundation’s values and vision.
- French language skills are an asset.
Deadline for Applications is August 23, 2021.
The Mastercard Foundation values the unique skills and experiences everyone brings to the organization and we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone.
Completion of satisfactory business references and background checks are essential conditions of employment.
For more information and to sign up for the Foundation’s newsletter, please visit http://www.mastercardfdn.org/
Follow the Foundation on Twitter at @MastercardFdn