The BMO Fellowship is a fully-funded venture and leadership program designed to provide comprehensive support to highly promising, diverse sustainability entrepreneurs and leaders. It offers award-winning training in entrepreneurship, sustainability, and leadership to help advance their sustainability-focused ventures and actively contribute to solving their communities’ most pressing challenges. This Fellowship is specifically intended for individuals from historically underserved communities within BMO’s reach who possess lived experience with the challenges they are determined to address.
Dates & Details
Dates: March 18th to July 11th, 2024 (16-weeks of programming).
Format: Participate in weekly virtual workshops, with localized gatherings and events when possible. These workshops are held on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursdays from 8:30am to 10:30am MT, requiring a 6-8 hours per week time commitment.
Immersive: A 2-week virtual Immersive is held starting on March 4th, 2024, requiring a time commitment of approximately 10-15 hours each week. This Immersive serves as a foundational experience, setting the stage for the fellowship’s community-oriented and cohort-driven journey.
Training: Join weekly expert-led modules covering subjects including Foundations, Data & Metrics, Go-To-Market, Funding, Team Management, and Pitch.
Impact Series: Renowned sustainability leaders, entrepreneurs, and experts join the fellowships we empower to share their entrepreneurial journey and experience, as Impact Series Teachers, as well as mentor the Fellows. See previous Impact Series Speakers here.
Basecamp: 1 to 2 day workshop designed and led by Fellows for their own stakeholders and communities. Learn more below.
Summit: Culminating community event where Fellows pitch to local leaders, funders, and entrepreneurs (July 11th, 2024).
Venture Development Stipend: A total pool of $15,000 will be distributed among select BMO Fellows as a venture development stipend based on progress and impact throughout the Fellowship.
Who You Are:
You are a BIPOC, woman, or Native American/Indigenous entrepreneur or community leader deeply committed to creating sustainable, scalable impact in your community.
You are at the helm of a sustainability-focused social impact venture or community endeavor in its initial stages, showcasing a history of making a difference. Ideally, your venture is in the space of environmental sustainability.
You have an entrepreneurial spirit, a growth mindset, and are driven to grow as an effective leader within your community. The ideal venture stage for this fellowship are those in the Problem-Solution Fit or Product-Market Fit phases, with engaged customers or beneficiaries, and demonstrated outcomes in both impact and revenue.
Where You Create Impact: You are located across BMO’s mid-west footprint which includes Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Oklahoma, North Dakota and South Dakota. While BMO is located across North America, this fellowship will focus on the U.S. mid-west region. Preference will be given to applicants from:
What You Are Looking For: You are looking for expert-guided entrepreneurial training, a community of entrepreneurs to give you feedback that improves your venture, and a wide-reaching mentorship network to enhance your leadership abilities and the impact of your venture.
Application Process & Timeline
- Applications Submitted: Complete the online application. This application should take approximately 45 minutes to fill out. The final deadline for application submissions is January 31st, 2024. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis after the deadline.
- First Round Review: Our Admissions Committee diligently reviews all applications, seeking entrepreneurs who demonstrate strong leadership qualities and ventures that are both innovative and scalable. Applications received after the deadline will be assessed on a rolling basis as needed.
- Interview: Qualified applicants will receive invitations for a 20-minute one-on-one Zoom interview. This interview allows us to delve deeper into your motivations for pursuing the fellowship and to gain a better understanding of your venture. Interviews will commence during the week of January 3rd, 2024.
- Admissions Committee Review: The most promising applicant profiles will be shared with our external Admissions Committee for their final review and selection.
- Acceptances Announced: Notifications of acceptance will be sent out during the week of February 15th, 2024.
- Fellows Confirm & Enroll: The final step to complete your enrollment is to confirm your commitment to the program. Upon confirmation, you will receive an invitation to participate in a “Meet the Cohort Webinar” event leading up to the program’s commencement. The program begins March 18th, 2024.