After you have discovered that your whatsapp has been hacked, this can be a distressing experience. It not only compromises your personal conversations and sensitive information but also poses a risk to your contacts. Fortunately, WhatsApp provides several measures to help you regain control of your account and secure it from future unauthorized access.
Take these steps as soon as you discover that someone other than you is using your WhatsApp account. This happens when your contacts start receiving WhatsApp messages from you that you did not send, you see status updates and posts in WhatsApp groups that you did not create. This does not apply to cases of stolen or lost phones.
It is possible that someone else might be using your decide from a desktop or WhatsApp Web that you had earlier connected to. You have to undo this first to be sure you are not dealing with a case of hackers.
- Open your WhatsApp > Tap the three vertical dots at the top right beside the search bar > Tap on WhatsApp web > Log out of all devices
If you find out that no device is linked and you still continue to experience same thing, then follow the steps below to recover a hacked WhatsApp account.
- Log out of your WhatsApp messenger and login again using your phone number
- A six-digit code will be sent to your phone number via sms. Enter the code.
- This logs you into your account immediately, and automatically logs out the hacker.
- If you are asked to provide a two-step verification code, even though you did not set up one, it means the individual using your account must have activated a two-step verification code. Since you do not have the code, it means you have to wait 7 days again before you can sign in without the two-step verification code.
- Remember that the hacker had been logged out immediately you were logged in with the 6-digit SMS code? So no worries. The hacker cannot continue any chat with your contacts and they cannot even get access to your WhatsApp account during this period.